Tuesday, 19 November 2013

First Day

Isn't it funny how First Days always stand out so vividly in our heads? I can't remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, but I can recall EXACTLY what I wore on the first day of fifth grade at my new school (Black bellbottoms, platform keds, and a Titanic t-shirt).

My first day in England was spent bawling my eyes out in the Manchester Airport Crowne Plaza. My first day at Foreign Affairs was spent flinching every time someone walked by my cubicle, terrified that someone would realize what a fraud I was and tell me to go home. Obviously, I have great First Day memories, too. The first day meeting my flatmates at Lancaster, drinking tea in someone's kitchen and thinking it was all so perfectly British. The first day of my emergency management program, listening to the teachers tell us about the industry and knowing I was in the right place (though what came after was a lot more challenging!)

Yesterday was my first official day of my new job, and I have to say--it was great! One of the benefits of my new job is that it's quite mobile, so I started off the day by working from bed (the "horizontal office", as my coworker calls it) and making a million phone calls, trying to get organized for my move this weekend.

(I need to get a block heater installed in my car--one of the not-so-fun realizations of my new location is that it's so cold my engine will freeze without one!)

I also got to take my first "real" business trip. I'm in Huron County today taking a course for my new position, so I drove down yesterday afternoon. This is a picture of my hotel room--I have a feeling this is going to be quite a common scene as my job involves a lot of travel!


Honestly--I'm so glad I decided to take this job. I know that the next few months are going to be really hard, both work-wise and life-wise. Even this week, just trying to sort out the move and my first steps, I've come close a few times to a complete meltdown. But even though I'm a little daunted by the task ahead of me,  I am completely overwhelmed by the outpouring of support that I've had. It's reminded me that as hard as distance can be, it is survivable. It's never been the end of my relationships before, and it's certainly not going to be this time!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear you had a great first day! And while things seem overwhelming, just remember that it won't last forever, so 1) it's easier to endure anything for a limited period of time, and 2) don't waste the opportunity! I was always telling myself this in France :) So excited to read more!

    P.S. It's crazy that you need to have a block heater installed in your car. C-R-A-Z-Y.

    ReplyDelete