Sunday, 29 December 2013

The inbetween

I just love the week between Christmas and New Years. Sometimes I think I love it more than the build-up to Christmas itself. It feels so much more laid back than the rest of the month, and even though I always expect to feel sad because Christmas is over, I almost feel more festive and relaxed than I do before. It may be because this December has been so hectic with the moving and starting a new job and all the travelling I've been doing for work, but I've been cherishing these last few days so much. 

Some of my favourite activities for this "in-between" week include:

1. Cuddling in front of the tree with a good book


Even when I was living at home, it was always hard justifying reading for fun in December. If I didn't have exams to study for or papers to write, I had Christmas shopping to do or jobs to apply for. But the week after Christmas = no obligations. Absolutely perfect for sitting down with any books I received for Christmas or the magazines I've neglected in the pre-Christmas rush. I have such fond memories of the books I've read around Christmas time. I remember reading Harry Potter for the first time when I was eleven, and two years ago I devoured the entire Hunger Games series. This year I'm reading "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton, but I'm looking for recommendations!

2. Watching a long(er) movie

My favourite is Gone With The Wind. I watched it for the first time a few years ago at Christmas when I was sooo sick I couldn't do anything else. I almost never have the stamina to sit through it during the rest of the year, when it feels like I should be doing more "important" things, but this time of year is perfect for it. Unfortunately for my family, it means that I will now be responding to everything they say with "Fiddle-dee-dee" and "Frankly, my dear father, I don't give a damn."

3. Long walks with my brother

Our family had a tradition of driving around looking at Christmas lights that has been neglected the past few years because of our schedules. My little brother and I have gotten in the habit of taking walks after the rest of the family has gone to bed, and talking about girl problems (him) and work problems (me). This year, I am especially appreciative of the fact that I can walk around outside in Ottawa without risking frostbite, which has not been the case in Thunder Bay.

4. Casual plans with friends

Whenever I come home for a weekend, I always get completely exhausted trying to catch up with every single Ottawa friend. It's just too much to cram into two days. This time, even though I am home for two weeks, I avoided making concrete plans, which means I've had the freedom to have 2-hour laid-back brunches with quality conversations with some of my friends, which I honestly think I prefer over rushed half-hour coffee dates.

What are some of your favourite things to do during the "in-between" week?

2 comments:

  1. I also get into the long walks at Christmastime, but with my mom usually. It's so nice to catch up and get some exercise! I usually start to feel sluggish after eating so much and exercising so little at Christmas.

    How are you liking The Forgotten Garden? Kate Morton is one of my favourite authors!

    I've been keeping friend dates really casual as well and it makes such a difference in feeling more relaxed and at-ease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Sorry my comment is so delayed... I have had your post open in my browser since the day you posted it, meaning to comment. :S

      P.P.S. I LOVE that picture!!!

      Delete